Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Booked !

I have been scrutinizing various city hospitals with a beady eye from a labour and delivery point of view. To state the obvious, South Delhi is dotted with various corporate hospitals of the shiny lights and polished floors variety. After careful consideration, I decided to give the stand alone birthing centres a miss. Call me paranoid but if I rupture a vessel and start haemmorhaging away, I’d rather have an intensivist in attendance than an aromatherapist.


So, I went and booked at one of the city's older multi speciality hospitals which is posh but not too pink. I have been a little worried about how much of a dent this whole exercise is going to make on my pocket, but I was pleasantly surprised. Even a labour suite where you can deliver in the comfort of your own private room costs about as much as a flat screen tv. And the difference in cost between a normal delivery and a caesarean section is that between a 42” and a 46” inch screen. While relieved that bringing my offspring into the world isn’t going to condemn me to the poorhouse, I still think that Indian medical professionals are among the worst paid in the world. Come on, how logical is it that the guy who routes your money to the Cayman Islands is paid in crores while the one who operates on your eye gets a few thousands ? Toss me a fat cheque when you next see me for the force of my arguments. Also, I could really do with the cash for the above mentioned reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment