Sunday, April 8, 2012

Addis Ababa for dummies – Part 1 / Drinking water

As I’ve mentioned multiple times previously, there is very less information about moving to Addis Ababa on the net. There were a couple of decent blogs which gave a realistic picture of life here but I still had a lot of stuff I knew nothing about. This basically means I carted along a whole load of woollen warmers and cooking utensils when I would have been better off getting more formal wear for the hospital and electronic devices.
In India, it would be an understatement to say that the standard of hygiene where street food and drink are concerned is extremely poor. You know that scene in Slumdog Millionaire where the kids fill tap water in empty mineral water bottles, re-seal and sell them, that may not be too far from the truth. I know of Caucasians who have developed unrelenting gastroenteritis after eating a plate of Gol-Gappa ( Delhi Belly anyone? ) However, as a true child of the land I pride myself on my cast iron stomach and can easily enjoy the many culinary delights of Chandni Chowk without so much as an extra gurgle in my GI passage. In all fairness, I also need to disclose that we have no running water in my locality and a tanker delivers  water of undetermined origin as frequently as we need it. We run this tanker water through a Reverse-Osmosis water purifying system and drink that. Pretty horrifying when you actually think about it.
Despite this background, imagine the extent of cultural snobbery when I decided that perhaps the water in Addis may not be safe enough for me and actually spent some considerable effort in trying to obtain a water purifier which can be fitted on to the tap. Thus even the water I used for brushing and washing would be safe to an extent. I would of course use mineral water for drinking and cooking. In my defense, I have an eighteen month old son to worry about and I’d read lots of blogs where people were peeling and washing all vegetables in bleach before consuming them. Also, I had a lot of time on my hands.
In reality,my house in Addis has 24 hour running hot and cold water. The water looks really clean and tastes good and lathers well. Locally manufactured mineral water is freely available in the usual 1 Litre, 2 Litre as well as 20 Litre containers for household consumption. There are multiple brands of water available,of which I randomly selected the Aqua Addis at the supermarket. You have to pay an initial deposit of about 230 Birr ( 700 Rs ) for the 20 L container but the empty one can be exchanged for a new one for 25 Birr ( 75 Rs ).  I am currently drinking the mineral water but use the normal corporation supplied water for all other purposes including cooking with no ill effects. I guess the Indian and Ethiopian immune systems share a common pool of antibodies for water borne pathogens or maybe they are generic third world antibodies. Full disclosure – my son has been vaccinated against Hepatitis A, the pathogen which commonly causes jaundice, before coming here.
As I’ve mentioned previously, I write this blog in fragments as and when I have time. And a day after I finished writing the above section the water supply suddenly stopped and we had no water for two days. Franctic enquiry revealed that a water supply pipe had been broken during road construction and no one had any information to how long it would take to repair it. The less said about those two days, the better except we discovered a new restaurant in the vicinity with great cheese pizzas.In Delhi, we have huge plastic water storage containers for just such eventualities but we were caught completely unawares here. We remedied that soon after and bought this plastic water can which should be able to store enough water for a day.



These water storage cans are available in Addis in all hues and sizes and their very presence indicates that water cuts are not an unusual occurrence.Our house also has a overhead water storage tanker which buffers us for a day, so actually there was no water for three days. I saw the familiar sight of water tankers parked on the road for replenishing the tanks, at an exorbitant rate of course. That is one aspect of Delhi which I am glad to forget and am fervently praying this was an isolated event.     

No comments:

Post a Comment